A Pacific Northwest Photography Blog

Foggy Space Needle as Seen Through the Monorail Tracks

‘O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree, Thou tree most fair and lovely!’ We’re visiting the Space Needle in Seattle at Christmastime again this week. This view is on Fifth Avenue at about Blanchard Street as seen between the elevated tracks of the monorail. The stylized tree atop the Needle is beautiful, during the day the angled strings of lights are almost invisible, but at night they become a brilliant symbol of Christmas that can be seen from several miles away.

Shot last Christmas season in 2011, I caught the Needle’s top through the fog. I loved the atmospheric, ethereal feel of this shot at night. I had my camera mounted on my tripod to get a good steady shot. I actually was standing in the lane of travel and had to keep one eye on traffic coming south on Fifth to make sure I didn’t become a photographic road pizza. You know, fold it up and run…set it up and shoot, run/shoot, run/shoot. Do you take risks to get the shots you want?

If you’ve enjoyed this post, you can receive future posts by subscribing to ‘The View From Right Here’ via RSS, via eMail, or use the LinkyFollowers or Networked Blogs links in the sidebar.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

‘WEEKLY TOP SHOT’ #61

It’s time for you to enter your photos in ‘Weekly Top Shot – #61.’ ‘Weekly Top Shot’ is open to everyone and is not themed. Pick one of your posts that pleases you most and share it with us! The linky will open every Saturday morning around 09:00 Pacific Time and will close the following Friday evening at 23:59.

GUIDELINES:

1. Consider following me, ‘The View From Right Here‘, in most cases I’ll follow you back.
  2. Consider subscribing to posts from ‘The View From Right Here’ via RSS, via eMail), in most cases I’ll subscribe back.
  3. One family friendly post per week please.
  4. Submit the url of your ‘Weekly Top Shot,’ blog post, not your main blog url, using the LinkyTools prompt below.
  5. Google+ users – submit the url of your posted photo on G+.
  6. Include the ‘Weekly Top Shot’ badge (or a text link) in your blog post.
  7. Visit some of other entries, meet some new people and leave encouraging comments.

(I reserve the right to remove any post that is inappropriate.)

(Permalink to create a text link back to this post: http://www.theviewfromrighthere.com/blog/?p=8891)

Weekly Top Shot

Thank you for visiting and sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

44 Responses to Christmas at the Needle – Weekly Top Shot #61

• Hi Madge, thanks for hosting this meme. For some reason a few days ago your pictures stopped loading onto some IE browsers. Possibly just a local thing.

• Hi Madge, I am not able to get your pictures on your blog, on IE or Chrome, on two computers here, B.C. VanIsle Canada. This started a few days ago. Everyone else in the States is getting them. We are having a storm so perhaps that is all it is. But I can see the pictures in the Mr. Linky. Weird. I had an old link to your site and the pictures from last March were on your blog so have you changed your picture host.

• Madge Bloom says:

I’m sorry, I have no idea. Nothing has changed in my configuration. But a fellow blogger in New Mexico said the same thing that he was having trouble.. I checked my blog on several operating systems and browsers and it loaded fine… I wish I had an answer for you.

• Still have trouble loading your page. Cleared my cache etc. Still not loading. I did see that incredible space needle because it loaded in finally if I keep reloading… But most of the pics below are missing.
            I think it might be my browser. I hope I get to see you shots as I really like checking in here.

• patricia says:

Great photos. I well be heading to Seattle next weekend to spend Christmas with my family. I hope to see the Space Needle then.

• Ruth Hiebert says:

I am not much of a risk taker in area of my life. Glad you took this risk,because the results are spectacular.

• Madge, thanks for the party this week. I am finally back after a few weeks off. Could you make a list for me on the must sees of your city including YOUR favorite hidden gems along with restaurants. I will be there in May. Thanks so much.
    Laurie

• Paul in Powell River says:

Take risks? – many, many times! Much to often in fact, and one day it’s going to bite me.

• oh, how pretty! we’re most likely coming to Seattle next summer, can’t wait! do I take risks? i’ve been taking photos on rooftops and in traffic and sometimes on the run to catch that perfect moment :) but i stay safe. Happy Holidays, Madge!

• MadSnapper says:

Here i was thinking about this wonderful photo and how that tree got up there and who would be brave enought to do it, and what they had to do to get it up there, then i read you were standing in traffic to get this amazing shot. i wondered how you get all your magnificent shots… now i know. and the reason I don’t have magnificent shots is i am a big fraidy cat and never put myself in danger for any reason, and that includes photos.

• Helene says:

Well done brave soul! Yep, I take risks…usually with traffic. There is one spot I love to shoot from a bridge. I have to walk down a road with no sidewalks and then cross another country road and stand on the bridge. There is a sidewalk on the bridge BUT it is absolutely amazing how fast the cars and trucks cross that bridge. Then there was the time I had someone chase me off their property with their dogs. But we will carry on! This is an absolutely beautiful Christmas photo!!!

• Karen says:

Oh! Beautiful! I’ve only seen the space needle from the window of my airplane. I really wish I could see it with that Christmas tree!

• Nicki says:

Oh, I really like this shot of the tree on top of the Space Needle – perfect. I have to confess that I have taken a risk here or there for a shot – but I do strive for safety.

• JoAnn says:

I have taken those kinds of shots – run, shoot, run, shoot – and also dangerous ones of straddling a ditch, leaning to the right and balancing the camera on a seawall to get a shot of a heron on the beach – and now I am recovering from back surgery from that very time – ruptured a disk and they found an extra shard of bone in my spine that was piercing it – so that picture was NOT worth the extra chance I took. Though I probably will take chances again, though not quite as often. LOL I do love the shot of the space needle – and thanks for taking the risk for us. We haven’t driven through
    Seattle at night so have not seen the tree lit – not likely this year, maybe next. It is a wonderful shot!! Thanks

• heyBJK says:

You definitely took a chance with traffic, but the shot is beautiful! I love all your photos of the needle and this one does not disappoint! Great job!

• You did get a perfect shot – I suppose because of the risks you took standing on the road! I don’t think I can remember taking risks, but I know I can be a nuisance!

• Catherine says:

The fog always adds to a photo doesn’t it? I like your Christmas decorations in your last few posts. Especially the reflection one – cool!
    xo Catherine

• Karen says:

What a beautiful photo! So pretty in the fog. I have taken risks to take a photo – pulled off busy roads, stood on high things, went into pastures with not very friendly cattle. (Won’t do that again). But I have never stood in a traffic lane in the middle of the city. That is brave, Madge! xx

• Daryl says:

beautiful .. i am in the process of ending my Through My Eyes blog … once the new year begins and its absorbed into my NY blog i will rejoin you in this wonderful sharing of Top Shots

• Dimple says:

Impressive shot. I am not much of a risk taker, but I might have chanced the traffic as you did…maybe! Thanks for the comment and the follow!

• Lindy says:

I can’t imagine stringing the lights on the Space Needle! That is a fabulous capture, and I’m glad you didn’t become “road pizza!”

Thanks for your visit and comment on my blizzard shots. :-)

Find Me Here:
WELCOME!
I've been publishing 'The View From Right Here' in one form or another since 2008. I hope you find images you enjoy from my travels around Seattle, the Puget Sound Region and the greater Pacific Northwest, giving you a glimpse of the beautiful region where I have always lived.
~Thanks for stopping by!

City Daily Photo Blogs
City Daily Photo Blog Portal

Click Image to Visit Other City Daily Photo Blogs

Blogs I Follow:
Pentax
I'm a proud Pentaxian!

I shoot exclusively with Pentax gear.

Feedburner Stats