Whiskey Row historically encompasses the buildings along Pacific Avenue, between 7th and 9th Streets South. The buildings along the aforementioned streets and avenue date from the Victorian era, and the facades display the ornate architecture designed and built during that period. These buildings date from the 1880s and are the predominant work of two architects, William Farrel and August Darmer. In their prime these buildings were home to some of Tacoma’s finest stores and apartments, but later after the turn of the century they housed seedier businesses such as: brothels, music halls, gambling dens and numerous saloons. These businesses of less than respectable reputations gained the district the nickname of Whiskey Row. Four years prior to national prohibition, Washington State imposed prohibition in 1915 and this district of stately buildings regained some of its former beauty and respectability. This image was shot looking south across Pacific Avenue directly at Whiskey Row and to the right up the street is the Old Tacoma City Hall with its clock tower. Taken just at dawn, the sky remained a royal blue with lights inside and outside the buildings giving a pleasing glow.
Animals Art Autumn Barns Beach Boats British Columbia Businesses Cafes Charity Christian Faith Christmas Churches Coffee Shops Convenience Stores Deadliest Catch Eastern Washington Family Farms and Farming Fashion Fishing Boat Flowers Food Gardens Halloween Holidays Humorous Idaho Independence Day Labor Day Memorial Day Motels Mountains Neon New Year's Night/Low Light Photography Olympic Peninsula Oregon Pacific Ocean Palouse Pastimes and Hobbies People Puget Sound Restaurants Rurality Blog Hop School Seasons Seattle WA Sports Spring St. Patrick's Day Summer Sunrise Tacoma WA Taverns Thanksgiving Trees Uncategorized Valentine's Day Veterans Day Washington Washington - Regions Waterfalls Weekly Top Shot Western Washington Winter Work